This is my hygge moment. Staying at home, wearing comfy clothes and enjoying a good cup of coffee. A moment to think about what I want to accomplish in 2017. I do New Year’s resolutions every year, it helps me to organise my life better and kick off the year with a clear set of priorities. I want to share some of my New Year’s resolutions.
LEARN: I remember reading Brian Tracy’s book about the power of self confidence. He says that highly successful people invest 10% of their income into learning. I love the idea. I have a friend who is educating herself in art and attending lectures at the Museum of Louvre on workday evenings. Isn’t that a wonderful place to hang out after work? In 2017 I will take photography course and learn to make amazing pastries. Here are some learning opportunities:
Mairie de Paris offers variety of courses ranging from languages to arts. They are nearly free. I found my photography class here.
LinkedIn has recently launched online course on variety of subjects. I took some of them and I really liked
Museum of Louvre offers courses on the history of art
Stephane Glacier offers wonderful pastry courses, but there are many other pastry schools in and around Paris
READ: I need to feed my mind with good books. I enjoy reading, but with the arrival of the baby and full-time job there is not much time left for reading. Therefore in 2017 I will make a conscious effort to find time for reading. Here are some of the books on my reading wishlist:
- The Triology of Cairo by Naguib Mahfouz
- Midaq Alley by Naguib Mahfouz
- My Art, My Life – an autobiography by Diego Rivera
- Practical Intuition by Laura Day
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Marie Antoinette: The Journey by Antonia Fraser
- Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience by Mihaly Csikszentmihaly
- War and Peace by Le Tolstoy
- The Compromise by Sergei Dovlatov
- Natasha’s Dance: A Cultural History of Russia by Orlando Figes
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari
EXERCISE: I’m an office worker and sped the best part of the day sitting at my desk. To keep my body fit I need to get out and do some sports. I found three physical activities that I enjoy doing – working out at gym, swimming, and jogging. My resolution for 2017 is to do one of them at least once a week.
Cheers to 2017!
Image: ©2017 Peachtree Alley